Deadline: 9 April 2021 (annual)
Study in: Japan
Course starts September 2021
The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance and who are granted admissions to the PhD Programme in Sustainability Science at United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS).
United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
Level/Field(s) of study:
PhD Programme in Sustainability Science
Number of Scholarships:
Citizens of developing countries listed in the latest OECD DAC list
The scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
1. Strong interest in sustainability studies;
2. Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
3. A completed Master’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university or institution of higher education and demonstrated ability to link course work and activities to principles of sustainability;
4. A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which was acquired after obtaining a university degree (full time equivalent) OR Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
5. A GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale (equivalent to 70% on a 100 % scale) for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
6. English language proficiency. The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are: 600 in TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT); 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT); 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format.
Eligibility Requirements for the scholarships:
- Applicants must be from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
To apply, you must complete the online application form for admission. During the admission selection process, outstanding applicants will be automatically considered as candidates for the award of scholarships. No separate application is required. Application deadline is 9 April 2021.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: https://ias.unu.edu/en/admissions/degrees/phd-in-sustainability-science-2020.html#overview